Sunday, September 30, 2012

Parent's Weekend


One of the hardest things about going to school far from home is that I hardly get to see my parents. I know its kind of corny, but I'm very close with my family and as much as I love Charleston there are definitely times when I miss the comfort of home. Luckily, my parents love where I go to school and decided to visit for Parent's Weekend.

Parent's Weekend got off to a good start with a delicious Friday night dinner at the famous McCrady's. This was a first for all of us, and I couldn't have been more satisfied with our choice. I have been reading about Chef Sean Brock, the mastermind behind McCrady's menu, since I first came to Charleston. Lets just say his culinary brainwork definitely lived up the two year hype. We each had a delicious four course meal: an appetizer, a fish course, a meat course, and a dessert. We all got different plates so we could try everything on the menu, and I can honestly say I don't think there was one dish I didn't like.

Masami Ranch Sirloin
Chocolate Pots de Creme 

On Saturday we decided to take an adventure to John's Island to see the Angel Oak Tree. We made a pit stop at the Mustard Seed (best homemade focaccia ever) and then made our way to the famous 400-year-old Oak Tree. Although the tree is beautiful in pictures, it's far more amazing in person. On our way out a woman recommended that we stop at the Charleston Tea Plantation, which was 8 miles down the road on Wadmalaws Island. Being that my mother and I are tea fanatics, we decided to take a little detour to the plantation. It was huge (120 acres of pure, unharvested tea leaves!) so we didn't get to see the whole plantation but it was neat to learn about the growing and harvesting process.





Possibly my favorite part of the day was the Historic House Tour, which happened to be in my neighborhood. We saw four beautiful homes that had been restored since the 1800's. My favorite was the all girls college preparatory school on Rutledge Avenue, Ashley Hall. Originally a residence, the school sits on a huge plot of land in downtown Charleston that includes a water fountain, a shell house (see picture below), and there was once a private zoo owned by the first resident.





I was sad to see my parents go, but I can't wait for our next Charleston adventure!

McCrady's on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment