Saturday, September 8, 2012

Saturdays at the Farmer's Market


Today was one of those days where I woke up early, restless and eager to get my day started. I tried to shake all my friends out of bed to join me at the farmers market, but to my disappointment it was a lazy saturday for everyone else. Luckily, my roommate Isobelle was awake and we made a morning adventure out of the farmers market.

I swear I'll never get bored of the farmers market. There are always new vendors to be found, food to be tried, and people to make small talk with. I could spend a whole day laying in Marion Square listening to the live music and relaxing with my friends.
















For me, the highlight of the farmer's market is the Roti Roll stand. My mouth starts to water as soon as I get a whiff of the spicy kimchi. So what exactly is a Roti Roll? aside from being the most delicious thing ever, its a South Asian soft taco filled with variations of Asian, Indian, Caribbean, and Southern dishes. My personal favorite is the Shorty which is curried vegetables, braised short rib, a sunny side up egg and kimchi. We found out today that kimchi is basically fermented cabbage marinated with spices and other vegetables. Its high in fiber, low in calories and has a lot of essential vitamins like Vitamin A and C. And if that's not enough to convince you its good, it was voted Best Food Truck by the Charleston City Paper last year.

Surprisingly I didn't give into my Roti Roll urge today even though there were alot of new rolls that sounded really good. Instead I decided to go with a traditional southern plate, BBQ Shrimp and Grits. I'm such a sucker for grits. In fact, the first meal I had in Charleston was Shrimp and Grits at the Charleston Place Hotel. My mom still swears it's what sold me on College of Charleston.

Roti Rolls (Food Truck) on Urbanspoon


Saturdays spent at the farmers market are always saturdays well spent. 


*** a special thanks to my friend Isobelle for capturing all of these blog-worthy photos today. and also for bringing me home a Coconut Almond Cupcake from Sugar Bakeshop when I wasn't feeling well. Check out more of her amazing photography on her blog, The Little Daze .

No comments:

Post a Comment