Sunday, November 11, 2012

Sunday Brunch

Maybe this is just a southern thing, but brunch is a huge deal here in Charleston. Walk down King Street and you'll see tons of blackboards boasting "Best Brunch in Charleston!" and "Bottomless Mimosas!", it's almost impossible to settle on a place to eat. My friends and I have upheld the Sunday tradition of brunch for nearly two years now. Every Sunday we try to choose a new place for brunch that we've never been before. It's the absolute perfect way to end a weekend.

It's always hard for me to tell a visitor or tourist where my favorite place to brunch is. Maybe its because you can't go wrong with brunch, or maybe it's because Charleston just does brunch so perfectly. Either way, the only way I can answer this question is by narrowing it down to my top three favorites: Butcher & Bee, Bull Street Gourmet & Market, and The Grocery.


Butcher & Bee
654 King St
Butcher & Bee on Urbanspoon



Poached Eggs and Roasted Veggies over Grits
I was hooked on Butcher & Bee from the minute I walked in. I loved the industrial, rustic feel you get from the high ceilings and the junkyard chairs. The menu is colorfully etched on a blackboard that I swear I stared at for a solid 15 minutes trying to decide what I wanted (everything sounded amazing). But what really got me was the homey feel I got from drinking out of their cute (and kind of cheesy!) mugs. I felt like I was sitting at my kitchen table with a bunch of my friends, chatting while sipping on a steaming cup of coffee. And my brunch plate did not disappoint- perfectly poached eggs with delicious roasted veggies over creamy grits. I was beyond satisfied with my brunch experience here.


Bull Street Gourmet & Market On King St. 
120 King St
Bull Street Gourmet & Market on Urbanspoon






Smoked Salmon Hash with Poached Eggs 

Lily's Almond French Toast

Ever since I moved to the Harleston Village neighborhood, I have been frequenting at Bull Street Gourmet on Bull Street solely for their amazing sandwiches and iced coffee. Recently I discovered that there is another Bull Street Gourmet on King Street, and I just had to try their brunch. Something about the decor made me feel like I was sitting in a little french bistro in New York. I'm also such a sucker for those cute little french posters, so I spent most of my time here trying to read and translate them. I had a hard time deciding between the Duck Confit Hash and the Smoked Salmon Hash, but in the end I went with the Smoked Salmon and definitely made the right decision. I also had my eye on the Almond French Toast, which my friend, Lily, was gracious enough to order (and let me eat half of). I will definitely be coming back here to try the Duck Confit Hash.


The Grocery
4 Cannon Street
The Grocery on Urbanspoon



King Bean Pressed Coffee


Green Eggs and Ham

Lily's Huevos en Cazuela 

Lexi's Cornbread French Toast

Although I have been to The Grocery before for dinner, I think their brunch is highly underrated. I have to start out by saying their coffee is the most amazing coffee I have ever had. Because I love brewing coffee I had to ask the waitress where it came from. She told us that it was from a wholesale coffee roaster company that sells to restaurants called King Bean on Meeting Street. I don't know if they'll sell a bag of their beans to me, but it's definitely worth a try. It took us about 25 minutes to finally decide what we wanted, but I went with the Green Eggs and Ham which was two cornmeal griddle cakes with crispy poached eggs, ham, and a dijon mustard sauce. Once again my friend Lily chose the other plate I was debating which was the Huevos en Cazuela. Even though I loved what I got, I think Lily's plate was the winner. Runner up was Lexi's Cornbread French Toast with poached pears and a bourbon apple syrup. I'm already looking forward to my next Sunday here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment