Monday, July 1, 2013

Summer Snapshots

I've been really bad at keeping up with my blog lately. Between interning at a Southern food & culture magazine, entertaining my many visitors in Charleston, and trying to get back into a daily routine since Italy, I have had almost zero time to stop and reflect on what's going on in my life.

I do, however, always have time to snap pictures. Whether I'm on my lunch break or taking my daily run to the Battery, I always seem to find a photo-op that captures my feelings in that exact moment. The past two months have already been some of the most exciting and interesting I've had in a while (sans abroad of course). Even though I loved living in NYC last summer, theres something so different, so enchanting about Charleston that is unlike any place I've ever lived before. Heres to the great experiences I've had here thus far this summer, and the rest of them to come.


Brunch.
Hominy Grill on Urbanspoon

Its no surprise that Sunday brunch is perhaps the highlight of my week. In a city so abundant with brunch its almost impossible to decide where I'm going to eat on any given weekend. With a little help from my friends, urbanspoon, and my penchant for all things grits-related, I always seem to find the perfect place. My most recent brunch endeavor was at the famous Hominy Grill, known for its delicious southern food (their motto is "Grits are Good for You") and refreshing house-made lemonade (an absolute must), there is no way to go wrong here. My brother was in town for the weekend so I decided this had to be a stop on his trip, and he absolutely loved it. He went with the famous "Big Nasty" biscuit (fried chicken breast, cheddar cheese, sausage gravy) which he gave two thumbs up. I chose the Salmon Potato Cakes with Poached eggs (and a size of grits of course), which really hit the spot. Another successful brunch to say the least.

Brunch Menu at Hominy Grill and their Salmon Potato Cakes


Running around Charleston (literally).

I've never considered myself to be much of a runner, I've always been the contact sports type of girl. But after sitting at a desk all day one thing I've grown to love doing after work is going for a nice long jog/run. I've start to challenge myself to run farther and longer, even when all my body wants to do is sprawl out on the couch with a pint of ice cream and a cheesy rom-com. Plus getting out in the fresh air does the mind good, especially when the scenery looks like this:




Breakfast + Books.

The only time I ever really have time to read is during the summer. There's something so peaceful about sitting on the porch on a warm afternoon and just getting completely lost in a really good book. In the past two months I've already finished two books, and moved onto my third (currently reading The Help, I'm behind on the NYT bestseller list). I've made it a morning habit to enjoy my book with a side of fresh-brewed coffee and a bowl of cereal. Makes going to work on a Monday worthwhile.



Dinner Dates.

A great way to make the work week go by faster (and blow off some steam) is with a really good dinner date at a new restaurant (or an old favorite!). Every week I choose one night to go out to dinner with a friend and enjoy a cocktail and delicious meal. Last week I went to Rutledge Cab Company, Bob Carter's new burger/sandwich/small plate restaurant with one of my guy friends and had one of the most amazing burgers I've had in a really long time (and when you're in good company, any meal is going to taste amazing). But one of my favorite places for dinner dates is sushi spot OK-U for happy hour (half priced sushi rolls and discounted drinks). Looking forward to my next dinner date this week!

My pretty OK-U dinner date, Ali, with her Jasmanian Devil 



No comments:

Post a Comment