Sunday, August 18, 2013

Mountain Weekend

August usually signifies the closing of summer. Internships come to an end, sunny beach days cease, and for all of us collegiates, school begins. I've always had a love-hate relationship with this month. Even though I hate that my lazy summer days are over, I love my end-of-summer retreat to the Adirondack Mountains.


I've been vacationing in Lake Placid, NY since I was 10 years old, and it still feels so new to me every time I visit. Lake Placid is characterized by an adorable little town fruitful with tourist shops, cafes, sandwich delis, movie theaters, and much more. In the backdrop of the town are green mountains, lush lakes, and clear skies for miles. There is a balance of simplicity and richness that just makes this town so enchanting.







This summer I brought my best friend from home, Natasha, on our annual Adirondack trip. The last time she had been to Lake Placid was nearly 7 years ago so I was excited to bring her back again and relive our previous trip. Even though we only spent a short 4 days there we had so much fun tubing on the lake, making s'mores, and hiking the hills.





The Lake.

We spent our first full day out on Lake Placid. Since none of us are particularly athletic in the water sports department, we opted for tubing instead. Although slightly chilly for August, it was a gorgeous sunny day. For lunch we chowed down on some sandwiches from Simply Gourmet, which is hands down my favorite sandwich place in the world (go for my personal invention-- cracked pepper turkey, sharp cheddar, apple slices, and maple mayo on a whole wheat wrap). And no one fell off the tube (I came close), which constitutes a good day on the water in my book.






Adirondack Eats.

Our first night in LP we enjoyed dinner at our favorite place, The Lake Placid Lodge. "The Lodge" as we call it, is a Relais & Chateaux resort that includes thirteen rooms in the main lodge and seventeen cabins around the property. We ate outside on the porch of the restaurant, Artisans, surrounded by a warm fire and crisp Adirondack air. I enjoyed an appetizer of crab stuffed squash blossoms (my first experience with squash blossoms...I'm obsessed) and Scallops with Lobster Risotto. Our good friend Stephen or "Scuba" as we call him, is the bartender at Maggie's Pub, the on-property bar, so naturally we had to have some after-dinner cocktails. Luckily I didn't indulge in dessert because this drink doubled as a dessert and cocktail; a little creation called a Strawberry Key-Lime Merengue Martini. I'm still dreaming about this drink, and kind of debating getting my bar-tending license so I can start learning the craft of mixology...

Dinner at The Lodge: Scallops with Lobster Risotto and Strawberry Key-Lime Martini
Artisans on Urbanspoon

Natasha and I also enjoyed a delicious meal at our favorite tiny lunch spot, The Cottage. After walking around all day we decided to reward ourselves with some Sangria and Hummus with Pita Chips. Natasha went for the Fig, Ricotta, and Prosciutto Flatbread, which was delicious. I was less adventurous but still so curious about the Key Lime Pesto Caesar Salad, which I ultimately chose (and really enjoyed!).

Fig, Ricotta, and Prosciutto Flatbread
Pesto Key Lime Caesar Salad
Cottage Cafe on Urbanspoon

Dinner Party on the Lake.

We also joined some of our friends from home,who were renting a house in LP for the week, for a dinner party on the lake. The boathouse had the most incredible view of Lake Placid, we we're literally floating on the lake as we ate. Afterwards we took a sunset boat ride around Lake Placid followed by some s'mores, wine, and a mini-photo shoot.





Lake Placid has this way of humbling you. Maybe its something in the fresh water lake, but I always feel so much more relaxed when I'm there. Time seems to go by pretty fast, anyone who lives in Lake Placid will assure you that "you're on mountain time here".

See you in the winter, LP!







1 comment:

  1. good food and GREAT friends!! -M

    ReplyDelete