Thursday, September 5, 2013

Dining In Charleston, Part 3

When you're a college kid in a foodie city (and trying to budget yourself), a visit from your parents is one of the most treasured occurrences. Lucky for me, my mom and one of her close friends, Ginny, came down to Charleston for Labor Day which meant I got to eat like a queen for a few days. Why do weekends have to be so short?


Husk.
Husk on Urbanspoon

The first time I went to Husk was nearly 3 years ago when it first opened and I've always been hesitant to go back. There was nothing particularly bad about the meal, it just didn't strike a chord with me the way I wanted it to. But I absolutely love its sister restaurant, McCrady's, so I thought I owed it another chance.

Exterior of Husk...I love that porch!

The ambiance of Husk is very warm and welcoming. I love the big blackboard that tells you where all today's ingredients are from (it scored points with me for transparency). And the decor is very rustic/country home-esque with so much attention to detail.

Baked Clams

For my appetizer I went with the Baked Clams with Roasted Red pepper, Shellfish Cream, Cornbread Crumble and Ricotta Salatta. It was very small and light, which was a perfect introduction for my entree, the Heritage Pork with Smoky Butter Beans and Heirloom Kale.

Heritage Pork

I couldn't remember the last time I ordered dessert at a restaurant, so naturally I begged the rest of my party to split the Burnt Marshmallow Chocolate Pudding with me. It was so good but so rich, I don't even think we ate half of it between the three of us.

Burnt Marshmallow Chocolate Pudding

The verdict: Husk has definitely improved since my first visit. Everything from the food to the service was considerably better. Maybe I'm just bias because I had such a great experience at McCrady's, but Husk will always be second best in my book.



Fig (Food is Good) . 
FIG on Urbanspoon

Fig was probably one of the only noteworthy restaurants in Charleston that I hadn't eaten at in my 4 years in Charleston (getting a reservation seems to be very exclusive, you have to time yourself right). Finally I was able to get a reservation on Labor Day, and I took my mother and her friend, Ginny, with me.



Appetizers consisted of the Steak Tartare with baked potato skins and the most amazing salad ever (wait for it) the Nine Vegetable Salad. I could have eaten that salad every day and never gotten sick of it. As you can probably assume the salad consists of nine vegetables which change daily but this one was carrots, artichoke hearts, heirloom tomatoes, sunflower seeds...and 6 other vegetables that I can't recall at the moment. The salad was a combination between hot and cold vegetables tossed in a light Caesar dressing...I've been obsessed ever since.

Nine Vegetable Salad
Steak Tartare

For dinner my mom and I, being die-hard Bouillabaisse fans, chose the Fish Stew in Cocotte. The spicy aioli sauce on the side was my favorite part, I probably could have eaten it alone. It wasn't exactly the most daring thing on the menu, but it delivered and thats all that counts.

Fish Stew in Cocotte

Even though I was so full from the fresh baked sourdough bread, multiple glasses of Pinot Gris, plentiful appetizers, and my grand entree, dessert was still an option. It took some convincing from our awesome waiter, Philip, but we went with his recommendation of the Sticky Sorghum Cake. A combination of sugar cane, molasses, and cinnamon with a side of cinnamon pecan ice cream, this cake was nothing short of delicious.

Sticky Sorghum Cake

The verdict: I can't wait to go back here. Knowing that 25% of the menu changes every day guarantees that there will always be something new, and I value a restaurant that incorporates variety into its menu. There is nothing bad I can say about my experience here, the food is really good (that pun was just too easy).


Happy Restaurant Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment